½ stale baguette or similar in 1 cm- thick slices
½ l milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
Olive oil (I used vegetable oil this time)
Peel of 1 lemon
Caster sugar (for sprinkling)
1. Put the milk and the lemon peel in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and add the sugar. Stir to dissolve. Remove the lemon peel and set aside.
2. Soak the bread slices in milk, making them to absorb as much milk as possible without breaking apart.
3. Dip the slices into the beaten egg and fry them in a saucepan with very hot cooking oil until golden.
4. Set the slices in a big platter covered with kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil.
5. Sprinkle the bread slices with caster sugar and let them cool before serving.
Optional ingredients for extra deliciousness
1 stick cinnamon (to put in the milk, together with the lemon peel and brought to the boil)
Honey (to drizzle over the torrijas)
Irene Corchado Resmella
I'm a UK-based independent Spanish sworn and legal translator. On Piggy Traveller, I share my home region of Extremadura with the world to encourage travellers to discover a different Spain. Serial migrant. Russophile. Married to a Scot. I also blog on ICR Translations, The Home Reporter and The Curiolancer. Follow me on Instagram.